Get Higher Rankings on Google Search
Search engines work hard to send their visitors to relevant sites, but if you don't work hard to attract the search engine's attention, your website investment isn't being maximized. Search Engine Optimization (or SEO for short) is a constantly developing specialty field. We strongly recommend seeking the services of one of our trusted SEO experts. Send a quick message to firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
SEO packages usually cost less money than the annual cost of newspaper or phone book or any other print marketing. Marketing gurus claim that it is also money better spent as print marketing is becoming less and less effective.
Here are a few things you can do yourself to begin your search engine optimization:
- Submit your site to the search Engines: Use a submission tool to submit to each large search engine: SubmitStart
- Assign relevant global and page specific keywords: If you have a page that specializes in a particular service or product, than the keywords should be relevant to that content. SEO experts recommend no more than 20 keywords or phrases. If you use a lot of phrases it is helpful to place a comma between each keyword or phrase.
- Use keywords in the body text of the page: The search engines use complicated algorithms to find content on the internet that is most closely relate to what people are searching for. If you have a keyphrase of "web design," then legitimately using that word several times throughout the content of the page will legitimize that keyphrase in the eyes of the search engine robots that are scouring your site for data.
- Have outside websites link to your site: Having multiple links to your website give you credibility with the search engines. If 100 sites are linking to you, your website is obviously useful to many people and therefore your business is probably legitimate in the eyes of the search engine.
- Update your content often: A static site does not receive as much traffic from search engine robots and therefore is less likely to have good placement. Regularly updated sites will keep the search engine robots coming back regularly to keep their data up-to-date. Blogs that resolve to your domain are a great way to keep content fresh and updated regularly. If your website does not already have a blog, and you would like it added, please reach out to PD/GO Support.
- Use social media to drive traffic to your site: Social media interaction is a must in today's mobile web culture. Link to your site from your Facebook Business Page and Twitter profile, and from your website back to those services.
- Create a local listing: Google and Bing put their free local listings at the top of their search results, so this is a way to quickly increase traffic to your site. Make sure to spend plenty of time adding as much relevant content to your listing as possible. This will help your placement.
Create a Google Local Listing
Create a Bing Local Listing.
- Get Five-Star Reviews: The more five-star reviews your business has on Google, the better (as well as 'recommendations' on Facebook) as Google gives an additional SEO ranking boost to businesses with a steady flow of new five-star reviews. Need help getting five-star reviews? We can help -- click to http://reviews.pdgo.com
- Don't attempt to game the system: There are many schemes out there that try to game Search Engine's algorithm. Instead, focus on making your content the most relevant to your potential clients by answering the questions they are asking. Customers expect to get answers with their queries, not just links. Find the questions your customers are asking and then make sure you answer them better than your competitors.
- Sit and Wait: There is a lot of sitting and waiting with SEO updates as these type of changes sometimes take up to a month or so to reveal results on the search engine lists. Be patient.
This list is intentionally simplistic. For a comprehensive list see the Google Search Engine Optimization Guidelines.
How does a PD/GO Website Rank on Search Engines?
The PD/GO System provides simple and superior control over your Search Engine Optimization.
- Sitemap.xml File: The PD/GO System automatically manages the sitemap.xml file
- Robots.txt File: While this file is automatically managed by the PD/GO System, this file can also be edited manually using the PD/GO System.
- Image Alt Tags: Alternate text can be added to images easily from the image gallery by editing each image and assigning relevant alternate text.
- Alt Tags for Design Elements: Alternate text can be assigned to every Site Style image also but can only be done by PD/GO Staff. We will be happy to add these tags if you send a list of tags for each site style image to email@example.com
- Keyword Rich Image Filenames: Images are renamed to whatever the Alternate Text is set to in the Image Gallery to make filename optimization extremely simple.
- Keyword Rich Page URL: You can edit the filename of any page. Edit a page. Find "Advanced Page Options". Edit the "URL" field. (The PD/GO System will add the .html extension)
- H1 Tags: The "Page Title" is assigned the H1 tag, so that full SEO benefit of the H1 tag can be utilized.
- Page Title and HTML Title: You can use keyword-rich words and/or phrases in these fields.
- Meta keywords, meta description OR meta code: Meta code can be added to a single page on the editor page for each page. Alternatively, meta code can be added in to every page from the Global Search Engine Optimization Settings.
- Keywords and Description: Keywords and description can be added to a single page on the editor page for each page. Alternatively, keywords and description can be added to every page from the Global Search Engine Optimization Settings.. Page keywords are appended to global keywords. Page description will replace the global description.
- Add your own code: If you need to add Google Analytics code (recommended) or add Schema code we make that easily accessible. Just go to Website Settings -> Template Settings -> and choose either head code block append or body code block append, depending on where the code provider tells you to place it.
We are always changing the PD/GO System to adapt to the latest changes in the way that search engines function. If there is an SEO feature that you feel is needed but isn't yet available, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and if we feel it will benefit our clients, we'll implement it!